A victory and two points for me

Sunday, January 29, 2012

I scored a huge victory yesterday, it may not seem that way to others but in my book it was big! First you need to know a little of the back story as that may help illustrate why this was such a great day.

Since receiving my first (small) paycheck back at the end of November I have attempted to open a bank account here in France. I went to a bank (that shall be left unnamed) with my handsome French speaking husband and enough documents to have fire kindle for weeks.

We spent about an hour at the bank giving them papers and signing forms and left with the idea that my account would be open and ready to go within the week. They stated that I would be notified when everything was ready and then would have to go into the branch to pick up my debit card and check book.  This initial week went by and I wasn't notified of anything. I did receive something in the mail after the second week that included my pin number and a piece of paper that I would need to bring to the branch to pick up my card. I then proceeded to go to the bank to do this and was told that my card and checkbook were not available for me. I of course wasn't able to decipher much of the information they were trying to tell me so went home defeated, frustrated and fighting back tears. 

My brother-in-law(BIL) then went back to the bank with me to try and help me figure out what was going on (James was at work). He was told that they were not able to verify me in the "system" as they could not find anyone with my name. Crazy, considering all of the documents that the French government has on me and that I am registered with immigration for the country of France. They told him that they hoped to have it all sorted out in the next week.

The next week goes by and still nothing. James and I go to the bank and I am told that they need to verify that I live where I said that I do. Since my name isn't on any of the utility bills they wanted further proof. So they would be mailing some "dummy mail" to the house that would need to be signed for. (Side note, my BIL had submitted documents verifying that I reside in his home. This included a written letter, their form filled out to show verification, a copy of a utility bill AND they took a photocopy of his passport for identification, yet this somehow wasn't enough "proof" for them).

So then the mail arrives and since I wasn't home it was signed for by my BIL. We took it to the bank and they said, "oh it's going to be a problem that it isn't Lynn's signature!" Are you freaking kidding me at this point!!! James had almost convinced some woman that it was signed for by my BIL a week ago and that should be good enough. She was then on her way to get my stuff (because the card and checkbook have been sitting in the bank for almost 2 months, just not given to me). The woman came back with another woman and asked if we had our "Livret de Famille" with us (the "family book" that shows your marriage). No explanation as to why they are now requesting this (as this is an individual account, not joint with James) and of course I didn't have it with me since I don't walk around with my French marriage license in my purse!

So some more time goes by, they resend the "dummy mail" to see if I live here. Again I am not home but James refused to sign for it knowing that it had to be my signature. So last Saturday I took the form to the post office and signed for it myself. Then we proceed to go to the bank.

We were still not given my stuff as they needed to wait to receive the verification from the post office that I had signed for the mail. At this point James is so mad that he is struggling not to punch someone's lights out! He is discussing the ridiculousness of this with the bank guy who proceeds to say that he is sorry that he had a baby and hadn't been at work. Really?! This isn't a person we have had ANY contact with prior to this day but somehow he is the only one capable of getting my account straightened out! This was more than James could take and he told the man that we were sorry we ever stepped foot into this bank and we walked out.

After two months of not being able to access money in my account unless I physically appeared in person at this branch during bank business hours (not open Sunday or Monday, closed during 2 hours of lunch time on the other days and after 6pm) I was beyond frustrated. The bank has NO problem accepting money into the account as my second check from work was directly deposited into it, yet I am not given the tools I need to actually use the account in any other way. In the midst of the crazy I decided that I needed to look at opening an account at a different bank. I consulted with some of my colleagues and was told that there was a bank that was British owned and so everything was available in English on the website and that there were many English speaking employees that should be able to help. We proceeded to go to this bank last week. I set up an appointment to meet with them to discuss opening an account and requested an English speaking person.

That appointment was yesterday. I went to the bank alone and with every single document I could imagine they would request. The woman was very nice and asked for documents and made copies of them. I asked her if she wanted a copy of our Livret de Famille and she said it wasn't needed. As I sat with her she entered my passport information into a verification system on the computer and got an immediate response which was printed out and added to my file. We reviewed the terms of the account. She had me fill out a couple tax forms that were specific to me being an American (the other bank never had me fill out these forms). She gave me many documents in English about the account and fee statements. She gave me everything I needed and told me my account was now open. She stated that I would need to come into the branch to pick up my card and checkbook and that it should be ready in a few days. I told her that Saturday was likely the best day for me and she said it should for sure be available by then. She also gave me her business card and suggested that if I have any questions I email her as she is better with responding in English via email than talking over the phone.

The bonus of the day is that the co-worker who referred me to the bank is getting a referral bonus added to his account just for recommending the bank to me and if I refer anyone the same would be given to me. I left the bank almost shocked at how simple, professional, and smooth this experience went compared to the other. While I am not feeling 100% yet about this I am hopeful that I really will have my card and checkbook this next week.

The second thing that happened yesterday to add to my victory was that I went to the post office alone to mail my niece's birthday present. The line was super long with lots of unhappy customers waiting. Yet I was able to get her gift in the correct shipping envelope and mailed off!

I need more days like this, where I feel like I have made some progress and will survive living in a foreign country!

So the score is no where close to even between France and I but I scored 2 very big points today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment