50th Birthday celebration

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Last night we went to celebrate the 50th birthday of James' brother-in-law. It was held at a banquet hall type place, there was a sit down dinner as well as a dance with a DJ.  It was fun to have an evening out and a reason to wear heels (since there is NO way I can wear them on a daily basis walking all over Paris, I have NO idea how the Parisian women do it)!

It was nice to see some of the family again and fun to experience a big birthday celebration here in France. The evening started off with appetizers and drinks.  Followed by a sit down dinner of couscous with vegetables, chicken and lamb. Then on to the cheese course and we ended the evening with champagne and desserts.

A picture of us with the birthday boy and his wife (James' sister).


The champagne tower.



The amazing desserts, one was peach and the other chocolate.



The candles were super fun and seemed like fireworks to me. It took a few attempts before the birthday boy was able to get them blown out.



I would call myself a friendly and social person but these events are always a bit intimidating for me in France. I  know that the main reason is that I can't really communicate with others  and feel strange just sitting and smiling most of the evening (good thing I have my 2nd French class tomorrow).

In spite of my worries, it was a fun evening. I mean any evening that includes sipping champagne with flowers in our hair has to be good, right?!



Off to finish the last of my homework for French class tomorrow. I plan to write about my experiences in class but thought I shouldn't base my opinion solely on one class. So we will see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment