Is this how it works in most cities?

Monday, January 9, 2012

One day last week, late morning, I was walking to one of the offices that I teach at. I walk past many shops/stores on the way including restaurants, pharmacies, restaurants, bakeries, and butchers. I was about a block away from my destination which also happens to be where the butcher is located.

This is what I saw...



I was really shocked to see this truck with large animals hanging out the back of the truck. I walked a little bit further and stopped to watch what was really going on. The butcher would unhook one of the large hunks of meat from the truck, throw it over his shoulder and carry it into the store. From what I could tell the meat wasn't wrapped in anything.

I have been told in conversations with others that the regulations(like the USDA) for meat and food is more strict in France. This then leads to the higher costs of many of the items we buy. So it isn't that I think there was anything wrong with the meat that was being brought into the store. I was just surprised by the method of delivery and that it was happening in the middle of the day.

I was telling James about this and he made some good points. How else would deliveries be made in central Paris (where there really isn't back entrances or alleys)? How is meat delivered to butchers in the US?

I may have more knowledge about this topic in the US than some others based on the fact that I grew up on a farm and know the process that was used to take animals from the farm, to the butcher, and then back to the deep freezer at the house. However, my knowledge of this is that the process happens all at 1 location (that the animal is delivered to the butcher and leaves there when it is wrapped in individual packages).  Of course this is at small town butcher and I have no clue how it happens for those located in bigger cities. James thought I should consulted by Dad on this, so Dad if you happen to be reading this fill me in on how it works. For all I know there are trucks making the same deliveries all over the US, I have just never been walking by them when the delivery is made.

No comments:

Post a Comment