How to Fake French

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It is hard to believe that I have been in France for 4 months now! While I have adjusted to some things about my new home I am still definitely a beginner when it comes to the French language. I would say that I have improved on my comprehension when others are talking to me and increased my vocabulary but speaking French (in sentences) is a whole different story!!

I came across this video the other day that shows how to "fake" being French. I literally laughed  aloud. It isn't that I have attempted to "fake" French but there are times when it is definitely easier to just nod my head, or focus on the meal or drinks than really try to contribute to a conversation.



As I had mentioned a few weeks ago as part of my visa/immigration status, I was given a large number of hours of French class to improve my skills.  When I had the meeting and assessment of my language ability a few weeks back, I was told that classes were likely to start on January 5th and that they would call to confirm this. Well that hasn't happened. I still do not have a start date confirmed from them and this causes some issues for me with work as I need to be able to give notice as to when I will no longer be teaching on Mondays as I will be a student of French for 6 hours on those days instead (6 hours, that's a lot of French in 1 day).

If I have learned anything over the last 1+ year navigating the unknown world of paperwork and processes, it is that there is a whole lot of waiting to be done. So I will sit and wait! Until then I could try using some of the tools outlined in the video above, minus all of the swearing of course!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my that was funny!!!! I'm going to have to send that to my French class!!!!!

    ReplyDelete