Méche (a.k.a. highlights)

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I have needed to get my hair highlighted for at least a month now (if you have seen any of the recent pictures on this blog you know it's true!). I have been so scared to go to a salon here as I can barely speak the language well enough to order in a restaurant let alone give instructions about what I want them to do to my hair.  I have a huge fear that I am going to leave the salon with some crazy color or my hair falling out from leaving the foils on for too long or not using the right products to highlight my hair. I know I have been beyond spoiled with all of the talented people in my life who are in the hair industry back home, this only contributes to my really high standards of how someone does my hair.

The last week or two I have been really focused on needing to figure this out as the last time my hair had any TLC was the beginning of September before I left for France. That's 4 months, way too long for this pamper snob!

One day last week I was able to stop in to a salon that the girls (2 of my nieces) were getting their hair cut at. I watched the people in action and was thinking that it must be an okay place if the girls come here for all of their haircare needs.

However while I was sitting there a woman came in to get her hair highlighted (but not blonde) and I was watching as this occurred. The method used was unknown to me. I am used to all highlights being done using foil. This was not the case here. Envision a tool that looks like a handheld mirror in shape and is plastic. They would gather the hair in the normal method and then stick this tool under it, hold the hair on top and put the color on, then move on to the next spot. I have never seen this technique but kept thinking that the color was not contained and would be touching the other hair around it, but I am sure there are many different ways to do this.

Before leaving the salon with my brother-in-law and the girls we inquired about the cost of highlights, only 46 Euro! This included the highlights and a wash and style. I then asked them if they use aluminum for highlights when they do blonde and was reassured that they do. So I went home that day contemplating on taking the plunge and going to get the highlight. I mean 46 Euros is in this girl's budget, way cheaper than the English speaking salon I found near Paris that was 140 Euros for the same service.

Two days later I finished off 2011 with my ugly hair and got a highlight in a French salon. James was available to come with me and gave them the information about what I wanted done...lots of foils, all blonde, no cut at this time (baby steps and testing to see how this turns out before committing to a cut, and how to explain what I want done for a cut, too much for 1 day)! James then left the salon and me with the stylists who spoke very little English.

I had 2 individuals putting the foils in at the same time, it felt a bit like how movie stars may be treated! They brought me hot chocolate and gossip magazines in French. I later told James that I think reading gossip magazines would be a great tool for learning French as I am motivated to read what all the ridiculous news is in Hollywood!

An hour and a half later I was a new woman! The color turned out great and they were all really friendly people who wanted me to feel comfortable. I am excited that this turned out to be a positive experience and even more excited that the cost was so reasonable!!!

The before and after pictures of my highlights, loads of improvement!
Before picture, UGH!

After shot #1, still in a ponytail due to it raining on me while walking home

After shot #2, thumbs up for a successful experience

After shot #3, ignore the evil eye look. I was trying to get a close up shot for my hair peeps back home!
I am sure that 2012 is happy that I showed up looking much better!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment