Jackpot Wednesday

Thursday, May 31, 2012

As it is really easy to think about the people and things I miss from the states, I have been trying lately to be more focused and aware of the good things that are happening in my life (even if it is as small as the train being on time or the sun being out). Some days this is easier to do than others.


Yesterday was an easy one!  Three highlights stand out.

Last Wednesday, a student of mine didn't show up for our weekly scheduled lesson (very uncharacteristic of him). He arrived at the lesson yesterday and gave me a gift to apologize. Totally not necessary yet totally kind! He gave me macaroons that are from one of the most famous stores in Paris, Ladurée.  I have walked by the store on more than one occasion but have never had the chance to try them. It was a kind gesture and great surprise!



The second awesome thing that happened was that I received mail from my Mom. Being in the digital era it is rare to receive mail and even more uncommon for it to be mail that we are excited about! I hit the jackpot yesterday. In the envelope she sent were some pictures of her time here in France, a Mother's Day card (because she is amazing and recognizes that I have a mom-like role as a step-parent), and a ITunes gift card!
I know that many people just download TV shows or watch them on different streaming sites but that is not possible (or very difficult) for me to do here in France. The sites that allow you to watch TV for free in the US(like Hulu) do not work outside of the states (some internationally media law). Therefore I am unable to watch Modern Family or Grey's Anatomy (or the other trash TV shows I like to indulge in). The only TV channels that are in English are BBC News and CNN International News. You know it's bad when I didn't even turn the TV on for 3 days over the last weekend, and rarely turn the TV on when I am home alone in the evenings. I would like to say that it's no big deal and that I am spending all of my free time doing worldly things (sometimes that's true) BUT I MISS TV!!! My commute today was awesome as I watch 3 Grey's Anatomy episodes. Happy girl right here!

The other bright star in my day yesterday was a voicemail. You may think that's a bit strange but hold on while I give you the details. Yesterday afternoon I listened to it 3 or 4 times to try and understand what it said. I knew that it wasn't a wrong number as the person stated that they were calling for Madame Léger but I had a hard time getting much information as in addition to it being in French they spoke pretty fast. I had James listen to it and it was a message to tell me the results of the French exam I took on April 3rd. Ladies and Gentleman...I passed!!! I scored 94/100!!! So I have met the minimum requirements to make immigration happy. James and I laughed that I passed this test but couldn't understand the voicemail in French to tell me that I had passed! But we are only talking positives right now and not gonna dwell on that!! Besides, it was just the elementary level test and we all know I have a long ways to go yet (and continue to take lessons twice a week)!

So my happy dance has continued into today and I am thankful to have been given many reasons to smile!!! 


5 comments:

  1. These are wonderful things! I love finding happiness in relatively normal life events. Congrats on passing the French test! I can't even imagine, but then I dropped out of Spanish for German and for some reason German just really made sense to me--French on the other hand...well let;s just say it looks Greek to me! Happy days to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodie! I am happy to have some "hard proof" of improvement with the language :) I am not grasping it as quickly as I had hope!

      Delete
  2. way to go lynny!!!!! 94 out of 100....sounds like an "A" to me:) keep up the good work! and i agree about getting actual mail....i don't even make it past the mailbox before i'm tearing into an actual letter/package from someone other than a cc offer.

    hope to see you soon!
    love, sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! Being so excited about getting fun mail makes me want to do better at sending mail to others too! See you in a few months! xoxo Lynn

      Delete
  3. Sorry that France doesn't make you happy:-(

    ReplyDelete