Marie-Antoinette's estate for a Mother's Day gift?

Sunday, May 13, 2012

With today being Mother's day, it seems appropriate to share what my Mom said was her favorite spot of sightseeing while she was in France. It shouldn't be any surprise to those that know her that it would be a country estate with lots and lots of gardens, ponds, and charming buildings.

One of the tour stops during her visit was to the Chateau Versailles (Castle of Versailles) and within this tour we were able to visit the Marie-Antoinette estate (The Queen's Hamlet). This was the getaway home of Marie-Antoinette, wife of King Louis XVI. It is where she went to enjoy the simple pleasures of life and get away from all the pomp and circumstance of the royal Castle.

I have had the opportunity to visit the Castle of Versailles two previous times, but this was my first time getting to see this private estate. It really is an amazing place and I can see why it was preferred to the big fancy castle.
Here is a picture of the castle (that I took on a previous visit). Just to give you an idea of why the small estate may have been preferred :)


Here are some pictures of the estate. Even though it is very picturesque and idyllic, the hamlet was a real functioning farm. It contained vineyards, gardens, and livestock which were used to provide for the royal palace. 

Temple of Love

The Marlborough Tower

The Moulin (mill)

The Queen's house

Another angle of the Queen's house

A close up of the mill



So although I am unable to give the Marie-Antoinette estate to my Mom today, it was really great to share that experience with her a few weeks ago, walking around and taking in the sights.

She already has amazing gardens and a country home (and the farm). Now we will just have to figure out how to get her some charming buildings or a pond. I think she may even settle for a cute little gardening shed so I will have to see if I can get my brothers and Dad to help make that happen.

Happy Mother's Day to my Mom and all of the other amazing women I know!!! I hope you are all showered with love today!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sweetie,
    this brought tears to my eyes!!! Thanks so much for the blog update & photos. It was so wonderful to share that moment with you :) I enlarged a few of those photos so I can always treasure & look back on my time spent with you, James and Maelle. It was an amazing trip and look forward to the next one (??? when). I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day too even thou it's not celebrated in France I was thinking of you ! Love you and love reading your blog.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete