How do you?

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

So how do you fall in love with someone who is over 4000 miles away from you?

That question never entered my mind until I began to wonder what "others" would think. I have always lived my life making choices that others didn't always agree with; but the reality is that the opinion of my family and friends does matter and I want them to be happy for me and excited that I have found someone SO amazing. In examining what this worry is about for me so many things were brought to the surface.

For those that know me well, you know that I am a bit of a "fan" of control. I like to be in the driver's seat and really kind of like to know where I am headed. In falling in love with James, this road map is completely foreign to me. I know that in a new relationship it is common to think about the future and try to envision what that looks like but throw an international relationship into that mix and it is a bit harder to wrap my brain around. All of the things that would need to get sorted out...where would we live, how would we make that happen, how do you make that legal, how do we have jobs in a country that we are not citizens of, if we are not married or if we are does this further complicate things?

I believe that as things have progressed these are "normal" questions that are arising. Yet I feel this other voice in my head that is a critic or naysayer. That voice is saying things like "really Lynn, you are considering moving across the world? You would leave a really good job and life you have built here? How do you know that he is the one for you?"

As all of these things swirl around in my head I know this...I don't have all the answers. I don't know how to make this work yet. I don't know what I would do in another country. I don't know how I will leave all that I have here in MN if it is decided that I will move to France for a while. BUT I do know this, I have found a person that makes me happy. The "I am 5 years old on Christmas morning and got THE best present from Santa in the universe kind of happy." In spite of all of the unknowns that lie ahead, it has NEVER been so easy to build a relationship with someone. As scary as the unknown is, I am going to try and stay in the moment. The moments I get to have every single day of falling in love, being adored, laughing, smiling, sending sweet notes to each other, and loving him more each day.

If the universe brought us together and we are meant to be forever, all the other stuff will figure itself out. That includes the feelings and opinions of "others," because in the end doesn't everyone just want me to be happy, even if that means they have to come visit me in France for a while?

P.S. 90 days until Paris...

1 comment:

  1. I am so touched by your honesty Lynn! I think you are very brave to allow yourself the opportunities to enjoy this amazing person and relationship and not have alot of it figured out! Just keep falling honey! You are a true inspiration to all of us single ladies(and fellow control junkies!)

    ReplyDelete