Do you have a lover?

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

On my last visit to France I had the privilege of meeting and spending time with James' 2 daughters. We had so much fun playing with them, coloring, doing hair, and all things girly. Looking back at the photos it reminds me of those good times and how grown up they are now. His oldest daughter and I have exchanged some messages on Facebook. His youngest daughter and I have had the opportunity to talk on Skype with one another. The first time that we spoke she sang me the song "head, shoulders, knees and toes" in English!!! It was so adorable! As time goes on she becomes a little less shy with trying to practice her English with me and has even tried to teach me some French (I am sure you can guess who does better with this).
A little over a month ago the three of us were talking with each other. I had gotten distracted and upon returning to the conversation she asks me(with an adorable French accent) "Lynn, do you have a lover?" I had no idea how to answer this. I didn't know if she had come up with the question on her own or if James was teasing and having her ask me something that she maybe didn't totally understand the meaning of. I looked to him for guidance as to how to answer the question and he just kept smiling as if to say "well, what's your answer?" After some hesitation I told her "yes, I do." She then proceeds to ask me "who is it?" Again, not sure how to answer this but told her, "he is sitting next to you." Her reaction was a big smile with some giggling.
She then goes back to playing nearby while still kind of a part of the conversation. At the first opportunity I asked James "what was that all about? Did you tell her to ask me that?" He then explained that she had asked him if he had a lover and he had told her yes and that it was me. She thought that he was teasing her so he encouraged her to ask me the same question. After further discussion I understood that the term "lover" doesn't have the EXACT same meaning as I thought it did. I mean come on, in my head a LOVER is what they talk about in romance novels, doesn't that seem a bit advanced for an 8 year old? But to the best of my interpretation, she was asking if he loved anyone. To which he had responded YES!
So there you have it, another reason to fall in love in France...the children freely ask "do you have a lover?"

PS 82 days until I get to see my "lover"

No comments:

Post a Comment