Tulip surprise

Monday, February 20, 2012

I know it's been a week since the "Hallmark Holiday" of Valentine's has passed but I woke up this morning at looked at the tulips sitting on the table and was happy to still see them.

My history with this holiday is that I have never been a big fan. When I was single it felt like a holiday to remind you that you were excluded from "the club." Being in a couple it feels like someone else is putting expectations on you as to which day you should be celebrating your love and how to do it.

James and I had agreed the weekend before that we would NOT buy gifts as we both had gotten new cell phones (and this was fantastic because I now feel like I am back in the land of the living)! I told him that I did plan to make him a dessert for the day and he was alright with this.

So the night before I tried out another cheesecake recipe that I had received from a friend. She shared that it's always a big hit when she makes it. It was a white chocolate, raspberry cheesecake. It turned out pretty good but I think I can tweak a few things as I try and find the perfect ingredients (I am unable to find chocolate chips here, shocking right?! So I used white chocolate in a bar form and don't think that I had quite enough for what the recipe called for).


The cheesecake right before baking it

Valentine's evening was low key, just dinner and dessert. I had asked James if he happened to find something in his sock drawer that morning (as I had put a card in there) and he said he hadn't but that I should go with him to show him what he missed. I opened the bedroom door and on the bed was a bouquet of tulips! Totally surprised and it was so, so sweet of him. He really knows me pretty darn well since I am not a fan of roses and prefer tulips or gerber daisies over roses any day! He claims that flowers don't count as a gift and that is the loophole he is sticking to in our "no gift agreement."


My Valentine for life!

A week later the flowers have totally opened up and have been a big reason to smile when I see them each morning. There is just something about flowers that brightens the world up a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment