job hunting

Monday, November 14, 2011

Since arriving in France back in September, I have been job hunting hardcore! I haven't kept a tally but would guess that I have sent somewhere around 40-50 resumes off to different places. Most of these jobs have been in one of two fields. 1. Childcare/nanny/glorified English babysitter 2. English teacher (both for children or adults). It amazes me how so many places do not even bother to respond to the information you submit and how slow the process is. However, as a result of all of my efforts I have had about a dozen interviews.
While nothing has been my "dream job" (I guess I shouldn't expect anyone to pay me to blog, sight-see, and take pictures of my adventures!) there have been things that I think would be a good starting point for work in France. In addition to the categories above here are some occupations that have been considered:
Mummy street performer near Chateau Versailles

Gardeners at Luxembourg Gardens

Drummer outside of Notre Dame

Tour Guide in front of Sacre Coeur

Trolley driver in Montmartre
Unfortunately I don't think I could stand still long enough to pull off the mummy gig. While I enjoy gardening, I think that this is more of a seasonal job and standing around with a hose watering things all day may be a bit boring. I also don't think my musical talent is strong enough that anyone would be throwing money at me (I doubt the french horn skills from high school are still accessible). That leaves the tour guide and trolley driver. I think I have definitely improved my tour guide skills with the 2 sets of guests we have had so far in France, but somehow I don't think the "professional" tour guide has to review maps and written description of sights as much as I require. Trolley driving is still in the running! Who wouldn't want to do that? It would be like driving around on a golf cart or four wheeler all day and I have got some skills in that department!
However, it seems that my trolley driving is taking a back seat to the job offer I received today. I brought the contract home (since it is all in French) for James to help me review and will meet again tomorrow to finalize it. I am happy to announce that I will be teaching English to Business Professionals in Paris! It's totally as glamorous as trolley driving, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment