So much to be thankful for

Saturday, December 5, 2009

As the holiday season is upon us I find myself looking at things a little differently from last year. It is so much fun to have someone to share the holiday season with. On Thanksgiving I felt especially thankful to have James in my life. I would have loved to share the day with him and we talked about how great it will be for him to experience a real American Thanksgiving some day. He was quick to point out that while he is excited to do that, he is not likely going to join me and the crew for "black friday" shopping the day after.

I have enjoyed shopping for a "lover" as well as the girls over the last few weeks. As most of my friends and family can attest I take gift giving very seriously! I really enjoy finding the "perfect" gift for each person and while gift cards are a great gift, I just can't seem to allow myself to not succeed in my treasure hunting for the perfect item, big or small. During the hustle and bustle of getting the cards ready and Christmas decorations out, it has been much appreciated that those close to me have talked about what it will be like to have James and his girls with us in the future celebration of holidays. "Just think, next year the picture of you on the Christmas card will not be alone; you can use one of your pictures from your time in France with James." Or the conversation about Christmas stockings with my Mom and her acknowledging how many stocking she currently has and that she will need to be sure to have 3 more ready for the future Christmas season. These things have been a great balance to my thoughts of having to spend the holidays physically apart from each other.

Just today I had a conversation with James that I want him to open his present from me when I can see him. So that means coordinating the time zones and holiday gatherings to have a moment of Christmas together on Skype. He jokes that he may be too excited to wait for Christmas if the package arrives early he will want to open the gift. All I could think was, "I can't even look to see if he untaped the package and re-taped it again," and "I have to see his face when he opens the gift!" That moment is the best part. I really think I accomplished my goal of "the perfect gift" when I came up with his idea. Now if only Christmas would hurry up and get here so I can talk to him about it and not have to keep it a secret!! Oh and the bonus that on Christmas we will only have 44 days left in the countdown.

P.S. 65 days to Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment