Chocolate Mousse

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Living in France you would think that I am a pro at French cooking by now, this however is not true. James doesn't really love French food and so I just haven't spent much time learning the traditional dishes. However, I have been learning some of the traditional desserts.

One of the simplest desserts here in France is chocolate mousse. It only requires 2 ingredients, minimal effort to make, and some time to chill in the refrigerator. I remember the first time I had chocolate mousse in France and thinking it must be so complicated to make and I was intimidated to try. This quickly changed when the recipe was shared with me. So I feel that it is my duty to pass on this delicious chocolate piece of heaven to all of you.
Recipe for Chocolate Mousse
serves: 6 | prep time: 15 minutes (plus 3 hours for it to chill)

Ingredients
1 bar dark chocolate (200g, I used the Nestle dessert brand here in France)
6 eggs


Directions
1. Separate the egg whites and the yellow into 2 bowls.
2. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until white peaks form.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate bar over low to medium low heat on the stove.
4. Once the chocolate is fully melted add the egg yellows to it. Stir quickly and remove from heat.
5. Add the chocolate mixture to the egg whites. Stir this together by hand until mixed.
6. Place in 1 large bowl or many small bowls that you intend to serve it in.
7. Chill in the fridge for a about 3 hours to allow it to cool and set.
8. Garnish with your favorite fruit or it is perfectly fabulous without fruit too!

Enjoy!!!

Note
***if presentation is important to you be sure to place in individual dishes prior to chilling as it isn't as "pretty" if you let it chill and then scoop it into separate bowls.

I hope you find this an easy addition to your dessert options. If anyone gives it a try I would love to hear what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment