Keeping it real...

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

This post is slightly different from most of my entries but it's just me keeping it real with my thoughts and feelings...

I have been so excited for my trip back to see friends and family. Like a kid counting down the days until the end of the school year kind of excited! Yesterday was my last day of work prior to leaving so that I could give myself a day to pack and get some things done at home before leaving tomorrow.

Yesterday afternoon I found myself a bit unsettled about the trip, strange and so unexpected! I tried to figure out what in the hell could be wrong with me! Really I am SO excited to see my people and do some things I have been missing like crazy so why could I possibly be anything but over-the-moon happy about getting a month in MN.

After a little analysis (no one should be surprised that I analyze, and often times over-analyze) I have come up with 2 things that have caused a slight shift in my feelings. The first is quite obvious (well to me it is), I am sad that I am not going to be able to share this month with James. The logical side of me knows that it isn't possible for this trip but I know I am going to have SO much fun and I hate that he will miss out on that. I also love when he can spend time with the other people I love because him being able to connect to them is important to me too.

The second reason is a bit more difficult to admit and talk about. In this last year I have continued on my journey to try and lead a healthier lifestyle and lose weight. This has been a pretty long journey for me and I have worked hard to get to where I am today. I am still not at my goal but have made some more progress this last year. There are things that are included in my life here that are just naturally part of my day and help me to stay on track. Going back to the states is going to challenge me in this area.

I am aware that there are certain things that will contribute to the challenge for me there. Some of the main ones are that:
A lot of my socializing will include food or drinks.
There are favorites that I haven't experienced in a year (restaurants and foods that are not easily available in France).
It is easy to overeat things when I think in terms of "OMG I don't know when I will be at this restaurant again or have this meal again so I better really enjoy it!"

However, I have found along this journey that knowledge and putting my fears out there will help me to stay on track. So after giving it a lot of thought I have a plan (again, who is surprised that this girl likes a plan). I want to enjoy going to dinner with friends and indulging a bit in things but I need to find a balance and ways to be active while I am there too.  I am going to try and be active in some way each day (just as I am most of the time in France) and I am going to try to eat intuitively (in hopes that I am eating when hungry and not overeating or eating just to eat).

So that is where I am at this morning. I want to return to France still on track, I want to prove to myself that I am capable of things that are difficult in this area of my life.  I don't anticipate that I will lose weight during this month that I am back in MN but I hope that I come back to France having maintained (and not gaining). My main goal is to enjoy every last second of my time there, spending it with amazing people and doing fun things!!!

I am off to get those suitcases ready now!!!!

3 comments:

  1. How exciting to be coming back to MN. I know you, you will be active and have no problems. All the excitement of seeing family and friends and going here, there and everywhere will keep you moving and active.

    Wish we were going to be around, but harvest time calls. Miss you and LOVE to read the witty comments, thoughts and everything about your new life and adventures with James.

    Love to you and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally know where you're coming from! I hate traveling with out Kyle (even after nearly 12 years of marriage) and I hate traveling without him for the exact same reason--because I know he's going to miss out on all the fun. and as for the other reason, I get that too. I know that I have purposely miss/avoided opportunities, because I haven't always been happy with my appearance and where I want to be on my weight loss goals. If we can meet up, I'd be game for a walk and/or taking the kids to the park--and if we can do lunch or dinner (in a healthful way) I'd really enjoy that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a fab holiday... I have learned that everyone stumbles at some point on their way to achieving a goal, some people stumble more than others... the thing is not to give up but to go on until you get to your goal however long it takes... Winston Churchill said "Success consists of going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" - he was a wise man...bon vacances et a bientot, Janine at The Good Life France

    ReplyDelete