My first visitors

Wednesday, October 19, 2011


 Last week I had the privilege to hang out with some familiar faces from MN. Dawn and her daughter Sara (who is actually studying in Spain this semester) jetted over to France for a few days and we traipsed around the city. I was able to share some of the sites that are familiar to me in Paris(the above photo is a site that is still mesmerizing to me even after seeing it numerous times).  In addition to working on my tour guide skills (that I hope to be using with ALL of the friends and family visiting) these few days in Paris also allowed me to check out some new spots which was really great.


One of my new favorites was seeing the beloved Eiffel Tower lit up at night. In addition to lighting up it does some fun blinking light show every so often as well.  I can envision sitting at a cafe with this in view and sharing some coffee and dessert, anyone want to join me?

After walking through the Montmartre neighborhood and seeing Sacre Coeur we headed down the hill and walked to the Moulin Rouge. Conveniently there was a Starbucks located right across the street that allowed us to sit outside and enjoy a little taste of the states while looking at this fun venue.


We also went to the famous Louvre. I had seen the Louvre during a river boat tour in the past but up close this building is bigger than I could have ever imagined.

 They say that it takes a whole day to get through the museum. I can completely understand why after seeing it. Being a resident of France there is little in the site seeing department that makes James excited to see repeatedly. I had texted him while we were sitting outside the Louvre and he responded that it was one of his favorites. So it is on the to-do list that we will be spending a day here in the future for me to experience all the amazing art that is within.

After a few days in Paris, Dawn and Sara came out to spend the day in Chartres with James and I. It was really fun showing them around the city, hosting them in our home, and trying to jam in as much French experiences as possible before they left the following day. Sara really wanted to learn how to make crepes so James and her spent a little bit of time in the kitchen and there is video to prove that by the end she was able to flip a crepe like a pro.

Of course these experiences also included amazing desserts (macaroons, religieuse, and too many others that I have yet to know the names of), the best French baguettes in town (so good that they both took some back with them on the planes), and of course a little French wine with (our Korean) dinner.

It is amazing how spending time with friends from home even in a foreign land feels familiar. Thank you to Dawn and Sara for all of the laughs and for allowing me to finesse some of the tour guide skills for the next round of visitors.

P.S. There are more macaroons waiting for your next visit (or an apple croissant or chocolate eclair)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment